Xfce4 Screenshooter 1.7.9 - Looking for a new maintainer
I recently released Xfce4 Screenshooter 1.7.9. This is a release candidate for the 1.8 branch. It contains a great number of new improvements and bug fixes, listed below.
I recently started to contribute more to the Xfce core, particularly Xfce4 Session and Xfce4 Settings (I'll try to blog more about that later), which leaves me very little time for Xfce4 Screenshooter. I would like to find someone to take over the maintenance of this projet, if you feel motivated please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org or jeromeg in #xfce on freenode). Obviously, some basic knowledge of English (to communicate with the rest of the Xfce team and to develop the UI) and knowing C is required. If you are not used to the gtk/glib API, I'm ready to do some mentoring during a transitional phase. Anyway, I would be happy to explain the current code organization, the main issues, the weak areas, etc. This is a good opportunity to join a nice community which needs more contributors to keep rocking!
**Edit**: Bruno Ramos kindly volunteered for this! \o/ For other people interested in contributing, I'll post in the next few days on a few Xfce goodies which need a new maintainer. Please also remember that patches for bugs opened in the bugzilla are a great way to start contributing. Do not hesitate to join #xfce on freenode if you have any questions.
- The XMLRPC-C dependency has been replaced by libsoup.
- Gtk 2.14 is now required to compile.
- Switch to a non-recursive Makefile.am. This reduces the build time and centralizes the build information.
- Scrolling the panel plugin button changes the area to be captured.
- When compositing is on, use a nice partially transparent rubber-banding, still needs some polishing.
- F1 opens the help page.
- Automatically fill the title and comment fields in the ZimageZ upload information dialog.
- Make enter validate the upload in the ZimageZ upload information dialog.
- Use the XDG image directory as the default directory for saving screenshots. If it does not exist, fall back to $HOME.
- Major interface rethinking. This new interface is based on a suggestion by Yves-Alexis Pérez. The former main dialog is split into two dialogs: one for selecting the region to be captured and the delay, while the second one displays a preview of the screenshot and lists the available actions. The main application shows the first dialog, then the second one. If one of the region CLI options is given, the screenshot is taken accordingly and the second dialog is displayed. The panel plugin uses the first dialog as a configuration dialog. When you click the plugin, the screenshot is taken and the second dialog is shown.
- Allow drag and dropping of the preview to other applications in order to paste the screenshot (Mike Massonnet).
- UTF-8 characters in user name or password caused a login failure.
- Fix all warnings triggered by running autogen.sh.
- Fix the ZimageZ upload when behind a proxy.
- Fix copying of links in the ZimageZ upload finished dialog.
- Fix 100% CPU usage when selecting a region in a non composited environment (spotted by Gauvain Pocentek).
- When capturing a window with rounded corners, don't capture the background of the window but make the screenshot transparent instead.
- Make sure the save folder in the panel plugin preferences is valid.
- Don't show the copy to clipboard option in the application if no clipboard manager is running as the screenshot won't be preserved after closing the application anyway in that case.
- Allow xfce4-screenshooter -r to be used as a command for a keybinding.
- Allow silent build.
- Fix most pre-build warnings.
- Escape screenshots path when opening them with an application.
- Plug some leaks in the application and in the panel plugin.
- Do not accept conflicting CLI options. Warn the user when he uses CLI options which are not coherent.
- Correctly save preferences, even if the rc file does not exist (Mike Massonnet).
- One second is now the minimal delay when using the interactive mode. This caused the screenshooter dialog to be partially displayed on the screenshot in some cases.
- A lot of updated translations for the application, the panel plugin and the documentation. Thanks to the Xfce translation team!
Screenshots can be found on the homepage.